(1) Action-a-bull: (things to take action on)
Tuesday: Call your state senator and urge them to save 5,500 teaching jobs by pressuring the Senate Rules Committee to approve HB13. If they don’t act, school districts will be forced to fire up to 5,500 “specialty” teachers working in arts and physical education - already schools are beginning to fire teachers. Learn what happened and what you can do.
Indivisibull - Members of Congress
Wednesday: Urge Senators Tillis and Burr to grant asylum to Syrian refugees. Script here. Burr’s DC office: (202) 224-3154. Tillis’s DC office: (202) 224-6342.
Saturday, April 15th from 10am-5p: Ready the Ground - Nonviolent Direct Action Training. ou must register to participate
(2) Note-a-bull (things to be aware of)
Learn about how School Board Member Matt Sears see the greatest need in the budget, how to fund pre-K and his other priorities.
Do you want to advocate for public transit? Find opportunities for workshops, hearing and more.
Update on coming City Council & Mayor race: Mayor pro-tem Cora Cole-McFadden announced last week she will not run for mayor, but will run for her current ward seat again. Former council member Farad Ali enters the race instead. Our city council team will begin working to document his past record on council. Stay tuned for more.
- Did you know that 1 in 4 workers in Durham are in low-wage jobs? Over 30% of low-wage workers in Durham make less than $10 an hour - that’s less than $20,800 a year working full time. Learn more about the State of Low-Wage Work in Durham in the report that PA released last week in solidarity with Fight for $15.
- Marcia Morey has officially begun her tenure as the NC House Representative for House District 30. Add her phone number (919-489-8227) to your contact list and start reaching out!
Last week, the U.S. Senate invoked “the nuclear option” to push through a new Supreme Court Justice - Judge Neil Gorsuch. Here’s our explainer of what happened, the context, and what it means.
(3) Applaud-a-bull (things our electeds did this week to call out)
North Carolina legislators have introduced HB 563 and SB 588, known as the Whole Woman’s Health Act, to repeal laws that impede access to safe abortion, prevent the passage of future anti-choice laws, and uphold women’s right to terminate unwanted pregnancies. Representative Graig Meyer (House District 50) and Senator Mike Woodard (Senate District 22) are co-sponsors of the bill. We applaud these Durham County legislators’ support for this pro-choice legislation.
If you’re interested in joining one of the Account-a-bull teams, email email@example.com.
- Account-a-bull Teams